Monday, February 20, 2006

thai green curry with jasmine rice



thai food is so wonderfully sensuous to cook. just washing the lemongrass before cutting it leaves a lovely scent on the fingers which last all evening long. and then there's thai basil which is much more fragrant than regular basil. galangal, cilantro and lime also add to the fresh flavour blasts one gets when cooking thai.

i made green curry last night from a kit i bought at waitrose, london's version of wholefoods. even though the vegetables came pre-cut, i felt like i was making the recipe from scratch as i made the paste in my blender from all the ingredients provided - shallots, green chillis, garlic, galangal, lemongrass, thai basil, cilantro and lime.



trim the ends of the lemongrass and place in a food processor or liquidiser, together with the shallots, garlic, zest of the lime and 1/2 tsp each of ground coriander, ground cumin and black peppercorns. add 4-5 tbsp cold water and 1 tbsp vegetable oil and blend to a smooth paste. the lemon grass is really hard on the blade of the food processor so take care not to have the green curry spray all over the counter.



heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a medium pan and gently fry the paste for 1-2 minutes. stir in 1/2 of a 400ml can coconut milk and cubed tofu.



simmer for 2 minutes until the tofu is piping hot. add the juice of 1/2 lime and season with a little salt. garnish with leftover coriander and the thinly sliced remaining chilli. serve with jasmine rice. i also made a vegetable stir-fry to enjoy with the green curry and rice.



ps - now that i am writing this recipe for you, i just realised that i used the whole can of coconut milk. no wonder the curry seemed light green and not as rich in colour as i was expecting after all that fresh basil and coriander!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Thanks for the heads up on my links section in my blog. I changed it up to make it less confusing. I hope you're still lovin' it in the UK and that you had an enjoyable and also productive trip to Japan. I should tell you how I found your blog. I did a search for Turkish Delight (the whole Narnia thing), and I saw your postings about going to Turkey. Someday I hope to travel. You are so fortunate to be able to do that. I'll be reading! :-)

1:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lu, how are you? I just had to drop by and say hello to one of my favorite blogger babes.I love hai food, I might be going to a thai returant tommarow night so mabe i'll try one of these dishes. Love ya. Ciao -M

1:48 am  
Blogger lulu said...

hi cathleen,
i think that post on turkish delight introduced me to many new friends across the world! i do feel lucky to be able to travel a lot now. can't imagine i'd be able to do this after three sons :)

m-
hola chica! i left a few comments on haute mimi but i see they haven't showed up! i love your never ending enthusiasm for blogging! how do yo manage all your blogs?! if you want a mellow thai restaurant where you can dine by yourself and get lost in those pages of vogue or the latest hawthorne you are reading, check out pat pong in the lower east side. search for it on lulu loves manhattan for my review. holy basil in the LES is also fun but more suitable for a large group. have fun!

8:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home