Monday, February 06, 2006

kashmiri rajmah



my dad sent me tarla dalal's "cooking & more" magazine last year in which i found an absolutely delicious recipe for rajmah made with kashmiri red chilli powder. some of you may remember that i posted this recipe on lulu loves manhattan last april.

i made rajmah last night and took a picture this time since i'm using only my own photos on my london blog. i have to say that this recipe is completely foolproof! i'm amazed how yummy the rajmah is every time i make it. you can use less oil and skip the butter if you want to make it healthier. rums taught me that you can even subsitute lobia for the rajmah to make a lighter version if you find rajmah very heavy.

serves 4

1 cup kashmiri rajmah, soaked overnight
2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
2 cups chopped tomato
1 cup grated onions
2 tsp garlic
1' piece ginger, cut into strips
1 cup chopped coriander
6 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter salt to taste
choppped coriander for garnish

1. pressure cook rajmah with 1 tbsp oil, saly, 1 tsp red chilli powder and 2 cups of water till it is overdone (i usually wait for 4 whistles). keep aside.
2. heat oil in a kadai (wok), add grated onion and tomato with 1/2 tsp salt and saute till the mixture leaves the oil.
3. add the garlic, giinger, the remaining red chilli powder and coriander and saute for about 7-8 mins.
4. add this mixture to the boiled rajmah and pressure cook for another 10 minutes and later open the cooker and let it boil till the rajmah turns into a semi thick gravy.
5. finish by adding the butter -essential for the flavor! garnish with chopped coriander. serve hot with basmati rice.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kay said...

Rajma is one of my favourite dishes.

Lulu, your picture of rajma looks yummy!

12:38 pm  
Blogger lulu said...

thanks, kay! rajmah is one of my favourite dishes as well..

10:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linked this post for my weekend links.. check out tomorrow.. its still in draft now... Love you Blog..LULU

1:02 pm  
Blogger Priya said...

Darn yummy !!!! this curry is simple, love it.thanx for sharing.

8:19 pm  
Blogger lulu said...

thanks, tony! your comment also reminded me to addd my blog links.

hi priya! nice to hear from you. love your blog - have just started reading it!

4:14 pm  
Blogger Toshe said...

thanks for the recipe. I just finished cooking.. it turned out pretty darn good i think.

Thanks Lulu

Amit

4:54 am  
Blogger Adelphia said...

Hey thanks for sharing the recipe, turned out to be very very good!

Annu.

6:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lulu,

Thanks for your receipe... It has come out indeed yummy.

12:12 pm  
Anonymous malihai said...

My sister ate kashmiri rajma in the road side in Kashmir and thought she died and went to Heaven! Here in New orleans we do that every monday all over La. minus the tomato, cilantro and ginger plus meat sausage or ham. I am trying your recepie. Thanks
Sue

6:54 pm  
Blogger be said...

I have been using this recipe for some time now and decided to come back and let you know that we really appreciate this very simple and delicious meal. Thank you for sharing it. Much appreciation. Bianca.
Ps. do you happen to have a wonderful Dal Makhani recipe hiding away there? I have tried many and none come up to scratch. I imagine that is because they are not cooked slowly but the flavors aren't the same as when i buy one either...

5:54 am  
Anonymous Nicoles said...

Excellent, I was in hunt for a good rajma recipe and I think I will be making it this weekend, let you know soon.

12:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

off white clothing
off white clothing
fear of god hoodie
cheap birkin bag
off white shoes
air jordan
goyard outlet
jordans
palm angels
golden goose sale

5:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home