Sunday, June 25, 2006

basil haloumi and roasted vegetable skewers



this month's issue of delicious magazine has the best summer recipes. i am a huge basil fan so this veggie skewer recipe that called for a basil marinated got me really excited. problem was that i didn't have any wooden skewers and my nearest waitrose had sold out. so i ended up pulling out my fondue set and using those metallic skewers instead - not an ideal solution but a somewhat workable one. if you end up using metal skewers, take care that your fingers don't get burnt when you take the skewers off the grill pan. of course, if your'e planning to use a real grill then you better find those wooden skewers before you try this recipe.

ingredients:
50g basil
8 tbsp olive oil
250g haloumi, drained and cubed
1 large red pepper, deseeded and roughly cubed (i used cherry tomatos instead)
6 mushrooms, halved
1 courgette (zucchini), roughly cubed

preheat grill pan. soak 8 wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. or skip this step if you're also using your fondue skewers :)

put the basil, oil and seasoning in a small food processor. put 2 tablespoons of the mixture into a large bowl. save the rest to toss through a pasta salad.

thread the haloumi and vegetables alternately on the skewers. cook on the grill pan for about 10 minutes, turning halfway, until the vegetables are just tender.



h really loved this dish. he said that he loved the chargrilled, pesto-flavoured vegetables that were succulent and absolutely delicious.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sumitha said...

Lulu,it looks delicious.I am unaware of what haloumi is?

9:06 pm  
Blogger lulu said...

hi sumitha
haloumi is a cheese that is indigenous to cyprus. it is made from sheep's milk or goat's milk or a mixture of the two. it is quite salty and has a stringy texture. it is a great cheese to grill.

10:51 pm  
Blogger beth said...

Hi Lulu.

So happy to learn what haloumi is. (I've been wondering!) About the book club... it's brand new. Email me for info: stellabee (at) gmail (dot) com

8:36 am  
Blogger indianadoc said...

That's absolutely gorgeous lulu...never knew haloumi...should be available in UK, right?

7:29 pm  
Blogger Chris said...

Hi is this Lulu from Davidson's class of 1997? I was just compiling a list of Davidson blogs and found you.

6:07 pm  
Blogger maya said...

Lulu - it looks so tasty - and almost healthy too. I'll give it a try later this summer. Is there a good alternative to haolumi in case I don't find that?

9:29 pm  
Blogger Mimi said...

Hey Lulu, ok so I wanted to share something that one of my close friends thought I'd love. I'm sure you'll love it too.. I don't know if you've heard about Yelp.com yet but its a great place to post and find reviews about resturants, boutiques..etc. Check it out..xx <3 Mimi and tell me what you think. P.S. Email me your email, I would love to keep in touch with you more often. ciao
email: tiramasuxx@hotmail.com

10:42 pm  
Blogger lulu said...

hi everyone
haloumi should be available in the UK and in the US even at grocery stores like Safeway and Waitrose. i don't think it is that hard to find.

hi chris,
what a lovely surprise to hear from you! yes, it is me indeed :)
will check out your blog.

hi mimi
i'd love to be mor in touch with you as well. will send you my email. thanks for the link to yelp.com. too bad that they don't have one for london!

11:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am digging your blog!!! Food from all over the world.. how cool is that. I found you site quite by accident, while looking for a Paris designer named Lulu H. You are definitely having a great time and well fed I might add.

8:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for using this blog its very helpful for online travel and tourism. Excellent services. Please visit this link……. My India Tourism .

6:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home