Thursday, August 17, 2006

maya's egg curry



when i moved into an apartment during my senior year of college at davidson, i was nervous because i had a kitchen and that meant i had to learn to cook. my apartment mates, who were turkish, french and american, were expecting me to cook these delcious indian curries. luckily, my dear cousin sister, maya, gifted me a "kitchen notes" notebook just in time for the start of senior year. she had already filled in about tens recipes for various indian dishes. i bumbled my way through cooking during my entire senior year and impressed no one with my culinary skills, but today, maya's present is one of my kitchen treasures and i do much more justice to her lovely recipes painstakingly written in her very friendly and huggable handwriting.

here's an easy recipe from maya for a spicy eggy curry - it was the first recipe that she wrote for me in her book and is the one i return to over and over again when i want a quick but hearty meal.

serves 4
quick, easy & tasty

since you like eggs, let's start with this.

ingredients

4 eggs
1/2 tsp oil
1/2 - 1 tsp jeera
2-3 tbsp broken up cashew
1 large onion (minced)
1/2" ginger
1 green chilli chopped
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tomato chopped
1/2 cup yogurt
coriander leaves for garnish

how to
hard boil eggs (8-12 mins); shell; cut into half. heat oil in pan, add cumin. when it starts to pop, add cashew and fry till golden. then add onion, ginger, chillies and coriander poweder, turmeric and fry till the onions are brown. then add tomato, yogurt and salt to taste and cook covered till the masala is like a paste and the tomatoes are fully cooked. if it is too thick add some water. put the egg-halves in and cook covered for a few minutes. then serve with coriander garnish.

eat with tasty tortillas and enjoy!

p.s. if you don't have cashews, use almonds or any other kind of nuts.

6 Comments:

Blogger Luv2cook said...

Lulu:

This curry reminds me of my roomate S from my college days. Her speciality was this egg curry. She ALWAYS used to make this. Her version did not have the cashews though. I am gonna try it with them next time!

2:37 pm  
Blogger Fourth Umpire said...

Aah, good old college staples. My specialty was Chicken Uppuma (Upma if you prefer). Sacrilegious, I know. But it was quick, easy, colourful (with all the veggies), tasted good and covered all the food groups (other than chocolate and ice cream).

10:01 pm  
Blogger lulu said...

sounds like eggy curry brings back memories of college days for all of us. you had me cracking up with your description of chicken upma, fourth umpire!

10:10 am  
Blogger gs said...

hey lulu
stop at eggs and no more.

4:09 am  
Blogger maya said...

Awwwright Lulu - I made it into your blog! And with a title too. Most honored Lulu...wish you were closer so that I could come and taste your yummy cooking experiments.

8:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

supreme hoodie
bape
goyard outlet online
bape shoes
supreme

4:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home