Wednesday, March 01, 2006

spinach and ginger soup on a snowy day

the snow showers in london are surreal. they've beautiful to look at and they trick you to almost admiring the season but before you know it they're gone and you're left dealing with the bitter cold. agh! nothing better to warm me up than cooking and eating lots of soup. i made spinach and ginger soup last night. it's one of my favourite soups because it is not only super healthy but also super tasty! my mom gave me the idea of ginger in the soup and i've adapted her recipe to create a lighter version without the white sauce. just for the record, she wouldn't approve of my version only because i add loads of garlic which she can't stand!




roughly chop a couple of medium sized onions (half a red onion for some extra kick if you like), a few cloves of garlic and an inch of ginger. sautee in a few tablespoons of olive oil until the onions turn soft, about five minutes. i am terrible at chopping vegetables so i'm all in favour of jamie oliver's "rough" method.



add a big bag of cut spinach bought from the store or a few bunches of fresh spinach straight from the market. make sure you wash the spinach really well in either case. don't worry if it looks like the spinach is going to overflow. it will get sucked into the dish magically after a few minutes and reduce to less than a quarter of the original.



once the spinach has settled down a bit, about three minutes, add about 4 1/2 coups of stock. i usually heat up the water in a separate pan and use vegetable stock in the form of cubes. i'm currently using a veg stock concentrate from marks and spencer which i've found is pretty good in adding depth to soups and risottos.



after five to eight minutes, remove from the fire. stick in a hand blender, blitz for a minute or two and voila, the spinach and ginger soup is almost ready. put the saucepan back on the stove and add seasoning - sea salt, black pepper and freshly grated nutmeg. the nutmeg adds a great finishing touch and helps in bringing out the ginger.



bon apetit! this soup can be enjoyed with toasted baguette slices or your favourite crackers.

ps - that is not cream in the soup but just the steam as it was sizzling when i took the picture!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great recipe!
And I believe I also own the same pot in the same color to boot :-)

10:59 pm  
Blogger Cathy said...

I'm a soup fanatic, and this one sounds like something I would really enjoy. Thanks for the recipe.

3:48 am  
Blogger Kay said...

Sounds yummy! I know just 5 types of soups - I learn only what I like ;), this one will increase the number to 6.

Btw, what kind of pot is that? enameled cast iron?

4:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey lulu,
is that a le creuset in kiwi? i've been trying to decide between the 2 3/4 vs 4 1/2 quart sizes. what size is yours? love spinach and ginger, so will definitely give your recipe a try.

8:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I ask which handblender you use?I have been looking for one on amazon and the comments do not help to make a choice.How long is your blender?IS it possible to use it inside a small vessel?Thanks fro answering the questions

1:11 am  
Blogger lulu said...

hi mohita,
sounds like we might have the same taste in colours - i just adore this kiwi colour.

payal and kay,
my pot is a le creuset in kiwi and it's a 2 3/4th. it's made from cast iron. i have been eyeing this brand for years but always found it a bit too expensive. then towards the end of last year i found this for less than half the original price at sur la table's new store in soho in manhattan. i bought it immediately and have to say i totally love it for soups and 1 pot dishes. i find this quantity a bit much as well and i end up freezing a lot. if you're cooking for just two people on a regular basis, this is more than enough. check out their website - http://www.lecreuset.com - they have a great range of poots and pans in lavender to support breast cancer care.

hi sana,
my hand blender is a braun 200 watt presented to me by my friend amy (http://cookingwithamy.blogspot.com) when i lived in california. it's so much more convenient than a regular blender. i use it mostly for soups but also for milkshakes every now and then.

10:53 am  
Blogger Kay said...

Thanks Lulu, I've been eyeing Le-creuset ever since I got my first cast iron set. They are pricey, yes! But, I guess, it wouldnt hurt to own just one piece! :)

I like the kiwi too. Reds and blues are too bright!

5:29 pm  
Blogger lulu said...

hi kay,
i'm loving my kiwi le creuset more and more every day - definitely worth it!

9:14 pm  
Anonymous ickledot said...

Great recipe. I'll try it tomorrow!

6:15 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Add tomatoes and some indian spices and put it in a vitamix so u don t have to cook it. Its quick and awesome.

1:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home