Saturday, April 29, 2006

paris diary: la bague de kenza



i'm so behind on blogging that you're going to get a mishmosh of my various trips in the past month. i still have so many stories to share about paris and the cotswolds.

one of the food shops that i was dying to check out in paris is this trendy algerian bakery called bague de kenza which got written up in the new york times a few months back. we were at a hotel in the bastille so la bague de kenza was just a twenty five minute walk northwards near metro saint maur.


la bague de kenza is truly a visual delight. the beautiful arrangement of the vast array of sweets tempts you so much that it is hard to walk out of there with less than a few types of pastries. most of the, are made from semolina flour, butter sugar and various fillings like pistachio, almonds, dates, rosewater, to name a few. they also make marzipan which are exquisitely decoarted. they all looked delicious to me so i asked for a selection of their favourites and happily enjoyed them all. while i enjoyed the sweet hit for the first few bites, i did find the pastries too sweet for my taste. but those who love the sweetest of indian sweets might want to give algerian pastries a try!



they also have a savory section that has yummy puff pastries with different fillings. i tried a mixed vegetable stuffed one which melted in my mouth. these guys really know how to make the lightest and most delicious puff pastry.

do check out la bague de kenza if you find yourself in paris. they are located at 106, rue saint-maur, paris, 75011.

6 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

amazing spread ;-)

2:03 pm  
Blogger Cathy said...

I don't think I could practice restraint at this bakery and would weigh 200 pounds if I lived in Paris. I think I just gained ten pounds by looking at the pictures.

2:44 pm  
Blogger rums said...

this stuff looks so divine lools!!

10:42 am  
Blogger lulu said...

overall, i found it hard to practice restraint in paris. it's a miracle that parisian women are as svelte as they are given the daily temptations that they can easily succumb to!

7:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so busy. Thank you so much for the information and the wonderful pictures. I wish someday to travel to Europe and visit bakeries. Now you have allowed me to do that through your blog.

Kathy

9:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love la bague de kenza-I went there last summer-they are the most exquisite cakes and pastries i have ever tasted-worth every penny :)

3:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home